Decorating your bathroom can be easy and enjoyable
A lot of us first inspect the bathroom whenever we check into a hotel. If that is satisfactory, we take it for granted that everything else is going to be fine as well. If our expectations are so high from a space where at most we’ll spend a few minutes every day, then why is it that a lot us don’t bother about how the bathrooms in our home look?
Why do you need to decorate your bathrooms at all?
Gone are the days when a bathroom was the smallest room in the house, with sink a shower or a tub, a commode and little else. It didn’t really matter how it looked. You spent a few minutes there every morning and at night doing what you had to and then forgot about it. Bathrooms too have changed like everything else. And people’s expectations from them have changed too. People by and large like spending more time in their bathrooms, whether it’s to shave and shower, do their make up, or soak in the bath or even indulge in the luxury of a private sauna. Surely no one wants to spend time in a place which offers little by way of ambience. A lot of people would probably judge your home by the kind of bathrooms it has. However beautiful and tastefully decorated your homes, if that style doesn’t extend to the bathrooms, everything’s going to be in vain.
A lot can be done with the modern bathroom
Modern bathrooms are thoughtfully designed and tastefully decorated. More space is allocated to bathrooms at the construction stage itself. Bathrooms are larger, giving you more alternatives in terms of placement of fixtures and accessories. If you want a sink there and not here, you can actually opt to do that. You can install both a bathtub and a shower if you want. You can place a small chair next to the tub. You can have lots of storage space for your toiletries and bath linen.
In short bathrooms never had it so good. All you need is initiative, a decent budget, thoughtful planning, careful selection of material and proper implementation of your plan and you can create a space that is charming, inviting and extremely functional.
Create a well equipped functional bathroom
All bathrooms by and large have some common features. Let’s take a look at them individually to see how best these can be treated to give the bathroom a fresh new look.
Floors: Most bathroom floors are tiled or are made of marble or stone. Unless you’re removing them and installing new flooring (which only makes sense if the flooring is exceptionally worn out or of bad quality) the best way to smarten up the floor is by throwing one or more rubber lined bath mats. These are available in a range of colors and you can easily pick up one that complements your bathroom décor.
Fittings: Fittings in the bathroom include faucets, showers and taps. These can be cleaned with a special cleaning agent to have them look as good as new. If they are beyond repair, have them replaced.
Lighting: It is very important to have appropriate light fixtures in the bathroom to create the right mood. It is important to adequate lighting over the mirror and other more subdued lights in other areas for a calm, relaxing atmosphere.
Accessorize your bathroom to give it a personality of its own
Great accessories are the key to a well decorated bathroom. These days such amazing bathroom accessories are available that they can brighten up the drabbest of spaces in an instant. Here’s how accessories for the bathroom can work wonders in transforming the space:
- Shower curtains: An instant attention grabber! For those bathrooms which don’t have a shower enclosure with doors, this is ideal both for separating the dry and the wet areas and for livening up the space. Shower curtains are made of cotton, vinyl and even silk. Opt for silk if you want a royal luxurious feel. Cotton and vinyl are however easier to clean and maintain.
- Mirrors: Mirrors give a bathroom depth. They can make any space look larger that it actually is. A really small bathroom can be made to look roomier with the right use of mirrors. What usually works best in most bathrooms is a small mirror over the sink and a larger on the door or in the shower/bathtub area. Mirrors come in a various designs, shapes and sizes. In modern bathrooms, stainless steel mirrors blend in very well. They also match the finish of the fittings perfectly.
- Counter top accessories: These typically include a toothbrush holder, soap case and dispenser. You can choose counter top accessories made out of plastic, stainless steel, and porcelain. They are available in a number of designs, often as sets and can also be used to accentuate a special theme. For instance a blue set will complement a sea side theme. Often counter top accessories and shower curtains are coordinated to create a synchronized look.
- Rods/hooks/ rings/Toilet paper holders: These are essential for hanging towels, robes and curtains and for holding and keeping toilet paper rolls dry. They are a must in every bathroom. These are also available as coordinated sets and these lend homogeneity to the space.
- Toilet Brush and brush holders: Nothing can ruin a bathroom’s appearance than a filthy toilet brush directly in the line of sight. Good looking toilet brushes are available with holders that you can store neatly in one corner of the bathroom.
- Towels: No one can resist big fluffy towels. Make sure your bathroom is equipped with soft luxurious towels in different sizes. They can either be stored in a linen closet or if on display, you can roll them up and display them in a wicker basket for a five star look.
- Bath Mats: Bath mats protect you from skids and falls and at the same time add warmth and color to your bathroom.
- Décor objects: Vases, bowls with pebbles or potpourri, candle holders and fragrant candles, unique jars, paintings, pictures, figurines and aroma therapy products are some of the décor objects can make your bathroom more striking than ever.
- Books and Magazines: A lot of people like to read in the bathroom. Add an attractive magazine stand to house your favorite reading material.
- Greenery: Bring in nature’s goodness into your bathroom. Use fresh flowers and plants to really freshen up the space.
Things to keep in mind when decorating your bathroom
- Fix a budget – Always work on a budget. Then you’ll know exactly what all you can do and what you can’t.
- Have a vision – Decide the look you want for your bathroom before you start decorating or redecorating. This will save you from any shocks after the work is complete. If you want a theme, go with fittings and accessories that fit in with the theme.
- Research extensively – Before you actually buy fixtures, fittings and accessories, do your homework. Get an idea of what all is available in stores and online and then buy from where you get the best deal for the products you want.
- Get professional help where required – Its great to be self sufficient but make sure you do only what you are capable of doing yourself. For major plumbing changes, wood work and masonry, seek the help of professionals.
- Get innovative - Use unusual objects as bathroom décor. Display your shell collection or make a collage of comic book covers, frame it and put it up on your bathroom wall.
- Don’t overdo it - It’s very tempting to pick up all that is available in stores. Know when to stop. A bathroom needs to be well done, not over done. No one is going to feel comfortable in a space that looks like a museum.
Decorating a bathroom can be a lot of fun if done in a creative and imaginative manner. Think of your bathroom as an extension of the other spaces in your home when you set out to decorate it. It is then that you will be able to achieve a perfect balance, where each room complements the other. A well decorated bathroom truly completes a warm, welcoming and beautiful home.