Made with Recycled Plastic
How plastic has become an environmental hazardPlastic consumption has gone up 20 times than what it was 50 years back. Plastics have become so popular because they are easy and inexpensive to manufacture, strong and durable. Approximately 500 billion plastic bags are used around the world every year. Not to mention the billions of water bottles and other plastic products which have become an integral part of our lives. Just think of what happens to all this plastic when we are done with it. We discard it or dump it and then it invariably finds it way into the environment, endangering animal and marine life, littering our surroundings, clogging our drains, polluting our water bodies and eventually finding its way into landfills where it will lie decomposing slowly for the next 700 years or so. Slowly these landfills will keep becoming larger and larger as more and more plastic is used and disposed off. If this doesn’t stop, imagine what the state of the earth will be after 50 years. We’re heading towards imminent environmental disaster
How then do we counter this threat of a plastic invasion of our planet? The answer lies in recycling. Since we can’t do away with whatever plastic already exists around us, the best way to curb this menace is to reuse and recycle.
Reuse plastic bags, bottles and containers in our homes and workplaces. When its time to discard them, segregate the ones that can be recycled from the ones which cannot be and send them to recycling centers (there is one in most cities) where they can be properly dealt with.
How recycled plastic can benefit the environment
- Did you know that it takes 24 million gallons of oil to make a billion plastic bottles? Think of the amount of oil that can be saved if we recycle these bottles?
- Recycling just one plastic bottle can save enough energy to power a 60 watt light bulb for six hours.
- If plastics are recycled, it can save about 90% of the energy it takes to make new plastic products.
- By recycling plastic, we can keep plastic out of our landfills, away from our rivers and oceans and out surroundings.
How is plastic recycled?Plastic recycling is a complicated procedure. Plastics meant to be recycled are collected from recycling bins and drop-off locations. They are then sent to a material recovery facility where sorting is done after which they go to a reclamation facility. Here, the plastic is inspected and washed. Then it is chopped into small flakes. The flakes are washed, dried and then melted. The melted plastic is sifted remove any impurities and then turned into strands and then into pellets. These are then sold to manufactures to produce new plastic products.
Some of the most common recycled plastics are water, milk and juice bottles. Other things like containers, grocery bags, sacks and even some toys can also be recycled.
What can we do with recycled plastic?We can make some great looking and useful products with recycled plastic. Some of these are:
- Home Accessories: Anything from kitchen utensils, dustpans, dustbins, garbage bags, planters and window boxes to umbrellas and shower curtains can be made from recycled plastic. We bring you one such stunning product – the Umbra Garbino Can ( Umbra is the worldwide leader in original, contemporary and affordable design for the home. It retails in over 75 countries and offers stylish products for every space in your home) This product has won several design awards and is permanently displayed in Art Museums. It’s undoubtedly the most glamorous can around. Available in 4 metallic hues, it’s a must have for any stylish home.
- Outdoor furniture: Patio and garden furniture of any kind can be made from recycled plastic. Apart from the obvious benefit of it being recycled, it lasts longer than wood, is moisture resistant, is crack and insect proof and is virtually maintenance free. Recycled plastic can also be used for building fences, decks and kids play equipment.
- Carpets: Great looking rugs ideal for indoors or outdoors made from recycled plastic bottles are available in many stores. These washable rugs come in cool designs and colorful patterns and are a great carpeting option for high traffic areas.
- Fashion Accessories: Handbags and totes made from recycled plastic are a hot selling accessory. They are available in vibrant colors and funky designs and look cool and trendy.
- Textiles: Believe it or not, even clothes can be manufactured from recycled plastic. Recycled plastic bottles are used for making t-shirts, fleece garments other textiles. Also aprons and baseball caps contain polyester made from recycled plastic.
Currently only about 7% of the world’s plastic is being recycled. But at least a beginning has been made. And with concerted efforts on the part of people and nations, we can make a big difference. To the environment and to our future.
There are no products to list in this category.