How private post boxes came to be used widelyBefore the introduction of private post boxes, it was common practice for the postman or mailman to go to each individual house, knock and then wait for someone to answer the door and receive the mail. This led to substantial wastage of time. It was then recommended by governments that all private homes have a mail box affixed on the front door in which mail could be deposited even when the occupants of the house were not in. After a few years, it was decided that mail boxes be installed at the outer gate of the home to save the time spent in going from the gate to the front door.
Private post boxes were being used in Paris as early as the 1700’s, in Britain by 1849 and in North America around 1923.
Post boxes come in a number of stylesA post box or letter box, mail slot or mail box as it is also known, as per the dictionary definition is a receptacle for receiving incoming mail at a private residence or business.
Letterboxes essentially come in four designs:
- A mail slot which is a slot in the door through which mail is delivered
- A mail box which is attached to the front door or at the entrance of a home
- A box which is mounted near the street, commonly near the front gate
- A common unit, comprising many individual letter boxes for an entire building or neighborhood.
What to look for when buying a post box for your homeEvery home has different requirements in terms of the kind and quantity of mail it receives. The choice of post box will therefore vary from home to home. Some homes receive A4 size envelopes and large journals and magazines on a regular basis. They would require large sized letter boxes. Others which do not expect to receive anything other than the monthly bills can do with a smaller size. Still others would need an additional slot for their daily newspaper in their post box. Apartments need multiple occupancy mail boxes. Whatever your requirement, there are a few basic qualities that everyone should look for in a post box. They are:
- Security: With identity theft becoming a common offense, no one wants others to get access to their private and at times confidential mail. A post box should provide fool proof security and should come with a secure locking mechanism, manual or electronic to prevent any kind of foul play. The size of a slot should be such that no one can put a hand inside to access your mail.
- Weather protection: Since your post box is usually outdoors and always exposed to the elements, it should be waterproof and rust proof. It should also be able to take exposure to the sun well. You also need to make sure that during rain and snow, the design of the post box prevents your mail from getting wet and damaged. In case you live near the coast you need to be extra careful as the air is very salty in these parts and can easily corrode some materials.
- Durability: Your post box should be made of a solid and high grade material which can last you many years. Replacing a post box time and again is the last thing you’d want to do.
- Design: While earlier a post box was considered as just a box for receiving mail, the discerning home owner today is very particular about design and style of his letter box. After all, this is the first thing visitors to your home are going to see even before they enter your home. Make sure that whatever you choose fits into your overall decor vision and complements your home and outdoors.
- Material: Post boxes are available in many materials. Materials like plastic are inexpensive but may not be long lasting. On the other hand materials like stainless steel are sturdy, durable, attractive and weather proof.
- Style: Post boxes are available in a variety of styles, from the traditional to the ultra modern and you can choose whatever meets your personal tastes and enhances the look of your property at the same time.
Choose from our stunning range of stainless steel post boxesStainless steel post boxes are not just strong and durable: they look ultra chic and contemporary. They complement your modern home perfectly. We bring you some spectacular designs from Blomus that spell style and functionality. Some have additional slots for your daily newspaper. This collection had different sized post boxes to cater to individual needs.
Your mail box helps you stay connected with the world. It also in a way says something about the kind of personality. Choose something that you like, that looks good and most importantly one that’s neat and practical.